A- A A+

Township Mailing List Sign up to receive our E-news

  Home   News   Events   FAQ  

Our History-Historic Landmark

  office drawing

 

 

The Township’s headquarters has a history of its own.

The handsome brick building was originally the home of the First National Bank of Winnetka.

When the bank moved to larger quarters, Township officials saw an opportunity to consolidate offices (the Township had been renting space in three locations). At a special Town Meeting on July 10, 1961, the electorate voted to acquire the building for $85,000.

The funds came from the two-percent commission the Township was receiving from locally collected taxes. Remodeling removed the brass rails, tellers cages and two large, forbidding vaults. Temporarily, one vault was filled with canned soup and peanut butter from The Pantry. All that is left of the building’s life as a bank is one vault in the basement where the time capsule will be stored.

 

Return to Our History Home Page

 

 
 
739 Elm Street, Winnetka, Illinois 60093 P. 847-446-8202 F. 847-446-1743
© 2017 New Trier Township. All Rights Reserved.
Web site design and web site development by Americaneagle.com