In 2011, Naomi Frisch of Wilmette (center) was presented the award. To watch the presentation click here.
New Trier Township and the Township Committee on Disabilities are committed to educating the community about the needs of persons with disabilities, advocating on behalf of persons with disabilities, and making efforts at enhancing their self-sufficiency and quality of life.
In creating the Superior Service to Persons with Disabilities Award, New Trier Township hopes to regularly recognize and honor individuals and organizations that are committed to the needs of persons with disabilities.
Download a 2013 nomination form. Word PDF
This award recognizes an individual or an organization (corporation, non-profit organization, governmental body or place of worship) for efforts that go above and beyond their normal job duties and responsibilities in any or all of the following areas:
- Providing contributions and advocacy efforts of a significant nature on behalf of persons with disabilities living in New Trier Township
- Helping to make a positive and significant difference in the lives of persons with disabilities living in New Trier Township
- Making substantial efforts at inclusion or integration of persons with disabilities into the life of the community and/or their respective organization
- Showing leadership in helping implement the Americans with Disabilities Act in New Trier Township
- Naomi Frisch of Wilmette (2011)
- Sean Clemenz and Julie Smith, Special Education Faculty at New Trier High School (2010)
- Jane Gallery of Winnetka (2008)
- Ellen McManus of Wilmette (2007)
- Kay Pothast, Kinetic Wellness Teacher at New Trier High School (2006)
- Glenkirk (2005)
- Lew Goldstein, Special Olympics (2004)
- Lynn Alabanese, Executive Director, Center for Enriched Living & Temple Jeremiah (2003)
- Saints Faith, Hope and Charity Parish & Glencoe Department of Public Safety (2002)
- Am Yisreal Congregation & Juanita Weckerlin (2001)
Persons or organizations nominated need not live or be located in the Township, but their efforts must have made a significant impact on Township persons with disabilities
An annual call for nominations is placed in January with a March deadline. Any person in the Township may make a nomination. The New Trier Township Committee on Disabilities reviews all nominations and makes recommendations to the Township Board of Trustees; final approval is by the New Trier Township Board of Trustees.
Download a nomination form. Word PDF
Award Presentation & Recognition
Winners and their families are invited to attend the Annual Town Meeting (second Tuesday in April). We present the winner with a distinctive plaque. Recipients will also be profiled in our communication materials to constituents.