IMPORTANT TAX UPDATE
Exemption filings are due by April 10. Forms are available at www.cookcountyassessor.com. You can file online (electronic signature is possible now). You will have to upload your proofs of eligibility (tax bill, drivers license, etc.)
C0VID-19 UPDATE-TEMPORARY OFFICE CLOSING-ASSESSOR’S OFFICE NEWS
Commencing Tuesday, March 17 the New Trier Assessor’s officewill be closed to the public. During that period we will be taking calls during regular business hoursat 847-446-8200. You can always reach usvia email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com. Appeals to the Cook County Assessor for 2020 Assessments are due on or before April 14th. During the appeal period, we will be assistingresidents wishing to file appeals. If you have other questions for us thataren’t as time-sensitive, we ask that you delay them until conditions return tonormal.
The Cook County Assessor has asked that all appeals to hisoffice be filed online. To file online you must go to cookcountyassessor.com. On that website you first need to register on the as a new user. Secondly, scan or otherwise have all documents you wish to submit loaded on your computer as documents that you can upload during the appeal completion process. If you are using comps you need to list the comps on a separate page in your computer so that you can upload that page. We willassist you to get the best information possible for your appeal. Call or email if you have problems submitting your appeal on line. We will alsoassist residents who don’t have computers.
We recommend that you check websites frequently during thisrapidly expanding crisis. For our part we will do our best to keep you informedof the current status of issues relating to property assessments and taxes.
New Trier Township Assessor
2020 Real Estate Assessment Appeals
Presently, the “window” to appeal your property’s 2020 assessed value with the Cook County Assessor will begin March 5 and end approximately 40 days later. Check carefully any notice you may receive to make sure it states the Assessed Value that you expect for your property. Any reductions you received from appeals you made in 2019 will be in effect through 2021 (subject to further reductions from subsequent appeals). You may file your appeal in writing using the Assessor’s form or online using the Assessor’s portal. Both the printed form and the online portal can be accessed on the Assessor’s website (cookcountyassessor.com).
If you would like assistance in filing your appeal such as information about comparable properties or recent sales, we can help you. The New Trier Township Assessor’s office is located at 739 Elm Street, Winnetka. Our office hours are 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. The office phone number is 847-446-8200. My email is firstname.lastname@example.org, and Deputy Assessor Len Shifflett’s email is email@example.com.
NewTrier Township Assessor
What We Do
In a Nutshell: Your New Trier Township Assessor's Office advocates for you with the Cook County Assessor's Office and the Cook County Board of Review. Additionally, we provide a broad range of services acting as a liaison for you with various County agencies.
- Assistance with preparing appeals for the Cook County Assessor, the Assessor's Re-Review and the Cook County Board of Review (and Re-Review)
- We provide information about the various grounds for appeal
- We file appeals for you at your request
- Assistance with preparing appeals for the Property Tax Appeal Board (PTAB)
- Assistance with filing exemptions
- Assistance with the Cook County Treasurer's Office
- Obtaining refunds where applicable
- Updating name and address information
- Providing documentation to correct second installment tax bills that are missing valid exemptions
- Sales and building permit information
- Taxpayer of record information
- Brief legal descriptions of a specific property
- Information from the Plat Books ("Sidwell Maps")
- Information from tax exempt properties
- Tax rate information
We are also available to do outreach events for your organization. We have a presentation we call "Your Annual Tax Calendar at a Glance," but will gladly tailor a presentation for your organization.
- The Cook County Assessor's office does all assessing in Cook County on a Triennial basis.
- The Cook County Treasurer's office prepares all tax bills and collects all taxes. Taxes are collected in arrears; tax bills are issued in February and July (subject to adjustments for unforeseen events).
Understanding Property Taxes
Who's who in the Cook County property tax system? Learn the ins and outs of the taxation process (PDF).
You can reach the New Trier Assessor's office at 847-446-8200. Deputy Assessor Leonard Shifflett and I look forward to serving you.
- Jan Churchwell, New Trier Township Assessor