New Trier Reassessment Notices
Mailed March 29, 2019
Cook County Assessor Fritz Kaegi announced that the 2019 notices of re-assessment for New Trier properties went out on March 29, 2019 (the date is always subject to change). Our Appeal Window will be open to and including April 29th. Appeals to the Assessor may be made on-line or in writing on the Assessor’s approved form postmarked no later than the deadline on the notice. Go to www.cookcountyassessor.com to access both the hard-copy Appeal form and the on-line application. You do not need the services of an attorney to appeal the assessed valuation of your home (but of course you may do so if you choose). My office (739 Elm St., Winnetka, 847.446.8200) can help you file your appeal. We will review your specific situation and help you identify your best grounds for an appeal by providing comps or recent sales information, by assisting in the correction of misdescriptions of your property, or by helping you explain the unique conditions of your property. Contact us as soon as you receive your notice by phone or e-mail or simply come to the office. We do not take appointments. Whether you contact us by phone or e-mail, please tell us your name, your property address, and how we may assist you. PEOPLE WHO INCLUDE ALL INFORMATION WILL BE ASSISTED BEFORE THOSE WHO DON’T. You can reach Deputy Assessor Len Shifflett at: HYPERLINK "mailto:email@example.com"
firstname.lastname@example.org, and you can reach me at: HYPERLINK "mailto:email@example.com" firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jan Churchwell, New Trier TownshipAssessor
What We Do
In a Nutshell: Your New Trier Township Assessor's Office advocates for you with the Cook County Assessor's Office and the Cook County Board of Review. Additionally, we provide a broad range of services acting as a liaison for you with various County agencies.
- Assistance with preparing appeals for the Cook County Assessor, the Assessor's Re-Review and the Cook County Board of Review (and Re-Review)
- We provide information about the various grounds for appeal
- We file appeals for you at your request
- Assistance with preparing appeals for the Property Tax Appeal Board (PTAB)
- Assistance with filing exemptions
- Assistance with the Cook County Treasurer's Office
- Obtaining refunds
- Updating name and address information
- Providing documentation to correct second installment tax bills that are missing valid exemptions
- Sales and building permit information
- Taxpayer of record information
- Brief legal descriptions of a specific property
- Information from the Plat Books ("Sidwell Maps")
- Information from tax exempt properties
- Tax rate information
We are also available to do outreach events for your organization. We have a presentation we call "Your Annual Tax Calendar at a Glance," but will gladly tailor a presentation for your organization.
- The Cook County Assessor's office does all assessing in Cook County on a Triennial basis.
- The Cook County Treasurer's office prepares all tax bills and collects all taxes. Taxes are collected in arrears; tax bills are issued in February and July (subject to adjustments for unforeseen events).
Understanding Property Taxes
Who's who in the Cook County property tax system? Learn the ins and outs of the taxation process (PDF).
You can reach the New Trier Assessor's office at 847-446-8200. Deputy Assessor Leonard Shifflett and I look forward to serving you.
- Jan Churchwell, New Trier Township Assessor