Assessor Issues Decisions on 2019 Assessment Appeals
Cook County Assessor Fritz Kaegi has issued his decisions on the 2019 New Trier Township re-assessment appeals. The Assessor’s decisions are sent by U.S. Mail to all taxpayers who filed timely appeals. The Assessor also announced that any request for re-review of his decision must be filed by Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. If you choose to file a request for re-review, go to the Assessor’s website: cookcountyassessor.com; click on “Forms,” then click on “Appeals”; then click on “Residential.” About two-thirds of the way down the list, you will find the “Re-Review Form.” Complete it and send it to the Assessor’s office according to the instructions at the bottom of the form. You must print the form. You cannot send it online.
If you wish to fax your Re-Review request and don’t have access to a fax machine, you may bring your completed form to us at the Township Offices by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, July 1. If you wait until Tuesday, we cannot guarantee timely receipt by the County Assessor because we have no way of knowing how busy the dedicated fax line will be – and it is a holiday week.
Re-Review does not affect your ability to file a complaint with the Board of Review. The Board of Review is a separate board, and all property owners in Cook County have the right to appeal to it annually.
New Trier Township Assessor
YOUR 2018 TAX BILL IS AVAILABLE ON LINE
The Second Installment tax bills for 2018 are available on the Cook County Treasurer’s website (www.cookcountytreasurer.com). Hard copies are still expected to be mailed at the end of June. To view your bill on the Treasurer’s website, click on “Payments” in the tool bar and make your choice from the dropdown menu. On the next screen enter your 14-digit PIN and click “I am not a robot.” Scroll down the next screen to “Download Your Tax Bill.” CHECK THE “TAX CALCULATOR” BOX (lower left corner); that is where all the factors making up your tax bill are shown, as well as your exemptions.
If you are missing any exemptions, you may obtain a revised bill before paying. The New Trier Township Assessor’s office can help you. E-mail me (jchurchwell@newtrier township.com) or Deputy Assessor Len Shifflett (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call us at 847.446.8200. The Assessor’s Offices are on the second floor of the Township building, 739 Elm St., Winnetka.
Payment is due NO LATER THAN AUGUST 1, 2019
Jan Churchwell, New Trier TownshipAssessor
What We Do
In a Nutshell: Your New Trier Township Assessor's Office advocates for you with the Cook County Assessor's Office and the Cook County Board of Review. Additionally, we provide a broad range of services acting as a liaison for you with various County agencies.
- Assistance with preparing appeals for the Cook County Assessor, the Assessor's Re-Review and the Cook County Board of Review (and Re-Review)
- We provide information about the various grounds for appeal
- We file appeals for you at your request
- Assistance with preparing appeals for the Property Tax Appeal Board (PTAB)
- Assistance with filing exemptions
- Assistance with the Cook County Treasurer's Office
- Obtaining refunds
- Updating name and address information
- Providing documentation to correct second installment tax bills that are missing valid exemptions
- Sales and building permit information
- Taxpayer of record information
- Brief legal descriptions of a specific property
- Information from the Plat Books ("Sidwell Maps")
- Information from tax exempt properties
- Tax rate information
We are also available to do outreach events for your organization. We have a presentation we call "Your Annual Tax Calendar at a Glance," but will gladly tailor a presentation for your organization.
- The Cook County Assessor's office does all assessing in Cook County on a Triennial basis.
- The Cook County Treasurer's office prepares all tax bills and collects all taxes. Taxes are collected in arrears; tax bills are issued in February and July (subject to adjustments for unforeseen events).
Understanding Property Taxes
Who's who in the Cook County property tax system? Learn the ins and outs of the taxation process (PDF).
You can reach the New Trier Assessor's office at 847-446-8200. Deputy Assessor Leonard Shifflett and I look forward to serving you.
- Jan Churchwell, New Trier Township Assessor