Crisis Assistance Resources


Mental Health National Crisis LIne. Dial 988. 24/7. You are not alone.

Illinois Crisis Hotline Open 24/7.  (Other resources through IDHS website)

Domestic Violence The YWCA’s Domestic Violence Services are available free of charge to anyone who needs them. If you or someone you know needs help, call 847-864-8780 or 1-877-718-1868, anytime, day or night.

Elder Abuse Anyone can make a report of suspected abuse of an older adult or person with a disability by calling Illinois’ 24-hour APS hotline at 1-866-800-1409. For information on common types of abuse and warning signs to watch for, visit Illinois Department of Aging website here or contact the Senior HelpLine toll-free at 1-800-252-8966, Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. 

Gambling Problem Assistance. Confidential, 24/7 help and hope is available at 1-800- GAMBLER. Additional resources include the website and by texting GAMB to 833234. 

National Helpline: 1-800-622-4357 (HELP) SAMHSA - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. Free and confidential treatment referral and information service available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

National Runaway Safeline: 1-800-Runaway (786-2929) or text: 66008 - A 24-hour 7 day a week national Safeline is for youth at risk of running away or already have and are looking for help.

Postpartum Depression HelpLine 1-800-944-4773 (Press #2 English and #1 Espanol) Visit the Postpartum Support International website for caring expertise and resources.

Safe 2 Help IL | Resource Hotline - Call 844-4-SAFEIL (723345), Text SAFE2 (72333), Email or go online to learn more about topics such as abuse, bullying, depression, self injury, and suicidal thoughts. Learning about ways to help yourself is a first step to feeling better. Safe 2 Help IL website

Veteran's Crisis Line: Call 1-800-273-8255 or Text: 838255, Support for deaf and hard of hearing: 1-800-799-4889 | Online Chat is available Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., except holidays. - Caring, qualified responders within the Department of Veterans Affairs. Many responders are Veterans themselves. This free support is confidential, available 24/7, and serves all veterans, service members, National Guard and Reserve, and their families and friends.

Disaster Distress Help Line is available 24/7 at 1-800-985-5990 and Spanish speakers should press '2' for bilingual support; staff are trained to help people through traumatic events.

No Shame on U is a Chicago-based organization leading the way in positively shaping attitudes toward mental illness. 


Family Service of Glencoe  (FSG) offers emergency counseling. If you need support or would like more information, please contact FSG at 847-835-5111.  Email Kristina Phillips, Executive Director, Family Service of Glencoe, to schedule on-site drop-in counseling for your organization.

Family Service Center (FSC) offers single-session crisis counseling for crisis situations. Call FSC at 847-251-7350 to learn more. 

Clearbrook offers a variety of services, including clinical, to individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Connect with Clearbrook via the website or phone at 847-870-7711.

Counseling Center of the North Shore has immediate openings for individual sessions with trauma-informed therapists: For intake, call 847-446-8060 or go to Counseling Center of the North Shore's website.

Erika's Lighthouse  While Erika’s Lighthouse does not provide crisis or counseling services, they do provide a  Teen Toolbox where you can access information prevention, thriving, treatment and how to help someone with depression.

Haven offers 24/7 assistance to anyone in need. Text "HELLO" to 1(844)823-5323, or phone their Crisis line at 847-251-6630.

Josselyn offers a walk-in clinic at 405 Central Avenue, Northfield, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on weekdays. Phone 847-441-5600.  Learn more online at the Josselyn website.

NAMI (the National Alliance on Mental Health) helpline number is 1-800-950-NAMI. Hours: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday. 


A family or household member can petition a court for a Firearm Restraining Order ("FRO") to prevent a person from having a gun, ammunition, or gun parts because they pose a threat of injury to themselves or another. Learn more at Getting a Firearms Restraining Order against someone | Illinois Legal Aid Online

GLENCOE. Through a partnership with Project ChildSafe, the Glencoe Public Safety Department provides cable-style gun locks to residents free of charge. In addition, Glencoe Public Safety provides for the safe destruction of unwanted firearms. If you are in possession of a firearm that you no longer want, bring it to the Public Safety Department who will take possession and have it destroyed. More information is on the Glencoe Public Safety Department website.

WINNETKA. If you have a firearm that you would like to surrender to be destroyed, you may bring it to the Winnetka Police Department at 410 Green Bay Road at any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Winnetka Police Department Phone is 847-501-6034 or visit the Winnetka Police Department website.

KENILWORTH. Free gun safety kits are available through the Kenilworth Police Department, contact Officer Holger Bucks at 847-251-2141 for more information.

WILMETTE. The Wilmette Police Department’s Temporary Safe Storage Program is available when circumstances exist in the home and a person wishes to temporarily remove firearms or ammunition for safety reasons.  Under this program, the Police Department will store them at no cost.

NORTHFIELD. If a temporary situation exists where a resident is not able to provide safe storage of firearms, the firearms can be stored at the Northfield Police Department at no cost. Unwanted firearms and ammunition can be turned in to the Police Department at any time for safe destruction. Under the Firearms Restraining Order Act, family members, household members, and law enforcement can petition the Circuit Court to remove a person’s access to firearms, based on evidence that the person is a danger to themselves or others. The Police Department can provide additional information and assistance with these matters; see also, the Gun Safety Advisory (PDF).